top of page


The tragic incident occurred on January 8 in the city of Lakeville, located in the Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area. According to the Lakeville Police Department, Donte Raphael McCray and Kyla Bianca O'Neal, his ex-fiancée, had been involved in a heated argument throughout the day leading up to the shooting. The argument allegedly stemmed from O'Neal's discovery that McCray had fathered a child with another woman while she was pregnant.

McCray initially claimed that the shooting was accidental. He stated that he had realized he had guns in his bags and wanted to ensure they were unloaded and safe for his children. In the parking lot of the Amazon fulfillment center, McCray attempted to clear a gun when O'Neal objected. As she began to drive away, McCray held onto her car and unintentionally shot her in the neck, according to his initial account.

However, further investigation and witness testimonies presented a more disturbing and premeditated series of events. O'Neal's mother informed the police that she had been called to the couple's residence earlier that day because McCray was allegedly getting aggressive with her daughter. O'Neal had also expressed her desire to end the relationship due to McCray's infidelity and had stated that she did not want him involved in their child's life.

An unidentified witness claimed that McCray had repeatedly threatened O'Neal on the day of the shooting. During an altercation over a set of keys, O'Neal allegedly broke McCray's phone, resulting in a provoked response from him. He threatened to kill her if another man came around his children, making disturbing remarks about their vulnerability to bullets.

Surveillance footage reviewed by the police confirmed that McCray's account was inconsistent with the evidence. Confronted with the footage, McCray changed his story and admitted that he had intentionally shot O'Neal after an angry encounter, stating that he was angry the car door had hit him.

The tragic consequences of the incident were devastating. O'Neal was found unresponsive and bleeding, and despite efforts to save her, she passed away from a gunshot wound that severely injured her cervical spine. Meanwhile, doctors performed an emergency cesarean section to save her baby boy, Messiah. Although he initially showed signs of life, he tragically passed away exactly one week after being named.

The sentencing of McCray to nearly 50 years in prison reflects the severity of his actions. This tragic case emphasizes the urgent need to address domestic violence and implement measures to protect victims. It is a sobering reminder that no one should endure such violence and that individuals must be held accountable for their actions.


Obtuvo 0 de 5 estrellas.
Aún no hay calificaciones

Agrega una calificación
bottom of page